The Middle School includes the 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade levels and is located in the Joseph Campus:
1069 Joseph Avenue
Rochester, NY 14621
Main phone number:
Fax: (585) 697-0222
Through EL Education practices and protocols, teachers create a student-centered learning environment that promotes mastery of knowledge and skill, character building, and high-quality work.
Instruction is guided by learning targets with “I can” statements that hold students accountable for their own academic success through collaboration, critical thinking, problem-solving, and rigorous academic projects that connect students to real-world experiences that align with state and Common Core standards.
As an EL school, EL Education uses the term fieldwork, rather than field trips. Fieldwork is what adult professionals do: research in the world, the students are not there as passive listeners. They are there to conduct research for their studies: taking notes, taking photos, and interviewing experts.
What makes this type of fieldwork different from traditional field trips?
- Students travel to places that are essential to what they are studying.
- Students are collecting information to create something of quality and value to share with others.
- Students are deeply prepared ahead of time with expertise in what they will be seeing and whom they will be meeting.
- Students are actively engaged on-site in interviewing experts and collecting information.
- Students return to the classroom to debrief, use their data and what they learned to create something meaningful.